Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Teddy Bears and Magic by Rhonda Henderson and some Kinder friends


                                  


Big bears, little bears, fat bears, skinny bears, soccer bears, and ballet bears - we had them all here last Friday when our Kinder friends paraded through the halls of our school. Mrs. Abraham reported, " The Teddy Bear parade gives our Kinder kiddos their first chance to shine and gain a little confidence when they walk past other students and parents. It is a BEARY fun filled day!"

Kindergarten is a magical place! When I walk through each day, I never know what I might end up doing! Last week I joined in dancing, doing yoga, and jumping like a cat. This week, I got to see Mr. Echeverri role play with a student about  how he would read his poetry book to his grandparent. When the kids said that their grandparents lived out of state, Mr. E took off his shoe and pretended it was the phone to demonstrate how they could read their poems over the phone. There is no problem to big to be solved in Kindergarten. I have seen students using the SMARTBOARD,
writing stories, and singing LOTS of songs. Smiles, smiles and more smiles! Last week they were all reciting the poem Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear and doing the motions that go with it (that takes a lot of concentration).

Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around;
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground.
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, show your shoe;
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, that will do.
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, go to bed;
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, rest your head.
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn out the light;
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, say "Good Night".

This unit theme might have seemed soft and cuddly, but our students were engaged in activities that let them learn about the routines and procedures of our school and addressed many of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) state standards. I believe that making memories is an important part of making learning meaningful. Our Kindergarten friends will make a lot of memories this year and have lots of meaningful learning to start their school careers.

Here are some of the connections they made during the week:

From Avish:
I liked the Teddy Bear parade because my dad got my Teddy bear when I was born.

From McKenna:
I really REALLY liked bringing my bear to school because I liked his overalls, and my Mommy thought they were cute.

 From Haylie:
I thought it was great because I got to try some Honeycomb cereal. I liked walking around in the hallway.

From Mauricio:
I liked to see my mom, dad and baby Noah at the parade. I liked walking around.

From Gavin:
I liked the teddy bear snack.

From Parker:
I liked the Teddy Bear picnic and eating with our stuffed animals.

From Alexis:
I loved doing the parade through the gym for our parents.

From Morgan:
I loved the Teddy Bear parade because I was happy to see my daddy.

From: Carter
My bear's name is Cookie. I brought him because he is my favorite Teddy Bear.



 
 
It is easy to see that our youngest friends are making connections between home and school.  Our desire is that they foster a love for school so deep that they beg to come each day and arrive home each evening with wonderful stories of days filled with joyful learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment