Wednesday, January 20, 2016

How TWE Teachers Serve Others by Charlotte Gilder - Asst. Principal


 

Teachers are some of the most spectacular people I know.  Of course, we know they spend lots of their time serving the students they teach each day, but when asked if they had anytime to serve other outside of school the response was OVERWHELMING.  Take a look at the great things TWE teachers are doing in Katy and surrounding areas to build community.

·        I like to volunteer with my teenaged boys at the Beacon, which is a ministry to the homeless in Downtown Houston.  Also in the summer, the boys and I regularly volunteer at Lunches of Love.  (Mrs. Baisden, academic support teacher)

·        My church participates in Operation Christmas each year and I filled a shoebox with fun things for a child in need. It was really neat, because we were able to track our shoebox and see what part of the country our box went to! Mine went to a little girl in Cambodia J It was so fun to do something selfless for a young child so that they can have a nice Christmas! Next year, my family and I decided to start the “white envelope” tradition, where we make a donation to an organization instead of receiving gifts.. (Ms. Morgan, 3rd grade teacher)

·        Tomorrow my kids and I are volunteering at House of Amos.  We volunteered for Cross Walk Houston and Family Point Ministries over the holidays.  We also make sack lunches once a month for a Houston shelter.  (Mrs. Shorter, art teacher)

·         I play the piano for my church every Sunday.  It is one of the highlight of my week!  (Mrs. Ross, 2nd grade teacher)

·        I volunteer with the Junior League of Houston through our community projects. This year, I have been busy sewing diaper bags and changing pads for the Baylor Teen Health Clinic and Houston Area Women's Center, as well as making overnight bags for children spending the night at the Children's Museum of Houston. My fiancé, Philip, and I also volunteer at the Houston Food Bank with his law firm.   (Ms. Schieffer, 4th grade teacher)



·        I volunteer at Grace Fellowship United Methodist Church with junior high and high school students. Each Sunday I help welcome junior high and high school students. I also volunteer to serve at many youth events throughout the year. This summer I volunteered for a junior high mission trip in Atlanta. We worked with meal program for senior citizens and we worked with refugees.   (Mrs. Heinold, 1st grade teacher)

·        I volunteer at our church's Current Cupboard, handing out food to needy families in Katy.  (Mrs. Tas, kindergarten teacher)

·        Girl Scout cookie mom.  (Mrs. Artley, 5th grade teacher)

·        I am a co-leader for my daughter’s brownie troop and a cookie manager. We do service projects like packing lunches for the downtown 3rd ward. We made blankets for the Ronald Mc Donald house. ( Mrs. Creighton, 2nd grade teacher)

·        We made first aid kits to donate. We donate our cookies to the Ballard House that we do not sell.
  • Coaching basketball, coaching DI, volunteering at FUMC in Richmond, and making lunches for Lunches of Love.  (Ms. Fox, GT teacher)
PACKTASTIC!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment