Friday, February 26, 2016

This Country has a New Citizen!!!! by Laura Barrientos (TWE Financial Clerk)





Last Thursday, I became and American citizen, and I couldn't feel happier, more honored or more proud. Many people asked me if it was like the movie, "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock. Sorry to disappoint you, but no, it is not like that at all.


First you become a resident and get your Permanent Residency Card. Depending on your situation, after a certain amount of time, you are eligible to apply to citizenship.


This last process took me about eight months from the last interview to the oath ceremony. I must say that it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I asked a lot of other people and some friends who went through the process for information. I also read a lot of forums and blogs about the process and experience. At one point, we thought about doing this process through a lawyer, but in the end and after much research, I decided to do it myself following all of the steps and instructions provided by the US Citizenship Office.




It is not only the legal process of becoming a US Citizen, but there is also an emotional part of it. By becoming a citizen, it doesn't mean that I will suddenly forget about the country where I grew up - my Spanish, my traditions, friend and family. It just means that now I have a new home with new friends and new traditions to add to the old ones. It means I have new opportunity for me and for our family which I did not have before. We are very blessed to be surrounded by all the wonderful people who celebrated this important moment in our lives, and I can't express in words how grateful I am for all of the love and support that I received from our wonderful TWE family - especially the lovely ladies I work with each day!



No comments:

Post a Comment